What else do I need

Google Android - a sneak preview

What's in it for developers?

Google's Android parts ways with Java industry group

And that's where my area of concern is... Do i replace my own customised VM straight-on with Android's dalvik?
Besides the extra overhead of the dex code conversion, and additional feature support, I still need to figure out.

What's included - and what's missing

The lowest level is a Linux 2.6 kernel - thats fine.. I guess I can start off with the FC 6 and above series which I have,

and then we got a Hardware Abstraction Layer to support the memory management, display driver, camera driver, Bluetooth, flash memory, USB, keypad, audio and power management.

Note, this doesn't by itself let you get at the GSM stacks and chipset - yupsie!

Google is therefore reliant on the hardware vendors to supply drivers, or at least the tools to allow developers to write the drivers. With Qualcomm, Intel, Marvell, Broadcom and Texas Instrument as partners, that's quite optimistic. Well, lemme see!

Plus, present Android's focussed mainly onto Mobile and handhelds - where as my area is mobile, handhelds, and displays as well to begin with, and much more...